Sunday, April 13, 2008

Photoshoot for Oliver's Billiards

Saturday I did a photoshoot for Oliver's Billiards, the best pool hall in Louisville Kentucky. I have played pool there so many times over the years that I couldn't possibly count them. The owner is one of the coolest guys I know and they have a great staff there, ready to bend over backwards for you to ensure that you have a great time. The facility itself is very nice and clean, and they have the best deals on pool in town. If you enjoy billiards, and live in the Louisville area, you should take the time to visit.

The shoot was a little harder than I expected. As you can guess, its rather dimly lit and has a mixture of incandescent, florescent and natural light (via the windows) so it was a White Balance setting nightmare! I finally came up with a setting based on the strongest source of light and just went with it. I shot most of them with off-camera flash trying to balance the ambient light with my strobe, using my SB-600 shot through a white, translucent umbrella on a stand. I also shot a few without flash, using my tripod and a very long shutter speed. I liked these rather well, but the client wanted very well lit photos to show all that Oliver's has to offer. They haven't posted any of the shots yet, but I will update the post when they have them on their site.

Below is my favorite photo of the day, along with a shot Jen took of me while doing the photo shoot. It was a fun time, and one heck of a learning experience!



f/22 4 secs ISO 200 @ 18mm



Thanks Jen for the photo!


No comments: