Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!!!


f/5.6 at 1/320 sec ISO 100


I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! The above shot has been my favorite so far of the holiday season, but I'm hoping to get some new tasty ones over the holidays ...and maybe I'll get some more photography related goodies from Santa (even though I haven't been that good this year). =)

The above shot was taken with three strobes. The key light is an SB-600 at 1/4 power with a green gel and a snoot to camera right. I only wanted the green light to appear on my face and not on the hat or the rest of me, but as luck would have it, I got a little spill of green on my hand, which I thought was a nice touch. For a fill light I used an SB-800 in a DIY beauty dish at 1/40 power on the camera axis above and almost pointing down at 45 deg angle. I wanted just enough light to accent the hat and fill in the dark spots on me. The reason I used the beauty dish was because the light was much more controlled and had a sharper fall off. If I had used an umbrella or bare strobe, I would have gotten light all over the place. The background was lit with an SB-600 and a blue (CTB) gel at 1/4 power. That strobe was directly behind me pointed at the background. If I had it to do over again, I would have slowed my shutter speed down another stop or two to make the blue area a little bigger. The chimney was from another shot I took some time ago and added in Photoshop. I used the burn tool to darken it up and to not draw attention to it.

That's it for me until have the holidays. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

No comments: