Tuesday, April 14, 2009

David Ernspiker 1970 - 2009



...a little off topic today


The world lost a great man and a musical icon last Thursday, April 9th, 2009. David Ernspiker, a friend and Louisville, Kentucky musician passed away in his home.

Dave was a virtuoso on the guitar, a talented musician, a youth minister at his church and an all around great guy. He will be deeply missed by those who knew him and loved him.

I remember the first time I met him...

Many years ago I had walked in Willis Music at the Oxmoor mall in St. Matthews looking for some guitar sheet music, when this long haired guy in a jazzy silk shirt walked up to me and asked me if I was a guitarist. I sheepishly replied that I was not and trying to learn. He then asked me if I was interested in taking lessons and I told him that I tried that already, but it just didn't seem to work out.

That's when he told me he was a guitar teacher there at Willis Music. Then he picked up a guitar off of the shelf, plugged it in to an amp, cranked the volume up REALLY loud and started blazing Hendrix tunes! At that point, I knew he would be a great teacher. After he got through with his maddening display of fretboard wizardry, he set it down, looked at me and said "when can I sign you up?"

I signed up that day. He told me to bring a song for our first lesson and he would have me playing it before I left ...I thought this would be a miracle, but he delivered what he promised.

I took lessons from Dave for another year and a half with him very patiently helping me hone my guitar skills. He became a good friend and an inspiration to me.

I will miss him greatly and somehow I know he is busting out great guitar riffs for everyone in Heaven.

Below is a video of Dave jamming out "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix... do yourself a favor and check it out, I'm sure he will be smiling about it somewhere.



To see more of Dave's videos, CLICK HERE.

::Links::

David Ernspiker
The Big Rock Show
Dave on YouTube

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE SITE. I'M MISSING MY BROTHER TODAY. DAVEY YOU ARE IN MY HEART AND THOUGHTS, YOU ARE LOVED! REBECCA J. (HEART OF FIRE)

John said...

You're entirely welcome Rebecca! Dave was an awesome guy and I know a lot of folks are missing him.