Wednesday, November 10, 2010

iPhone Apps for Photographers

iPhone

I know what you're thinking, 'omg another iphone app review!' *eyes rolling*

Well, I have to say, I was in the same boat not so long ago.  I couldn't have cared less about all of the praises and blog posts about the amazing iPhone and all its wonderful apps... that is, until I got one!

For the record, I have never been a "phone" person.  I don't like talking on phones, I have no interest in playing games on phones, don't listen to music on a phone and I certainly was not keen about text messaging.  However I like to think that I'm not one of those dinosaurs that can't adapt to modern technology.  Although I'm usually the last on the boat.

Well, thanks to a little persuasion by my fiance' and a few friends, I finally got to the point where I could text ...a little.  It took a qwerty keyboard style phone though to get me to that point, but once I figured it out, it honestly wasn't so bad.  In fact, I could even justify actually using texting as opposed to voice calls when in business type scenarios, i.e.... not wanting everyone in the room to know that you need to pick up a loaf of bread and some cokes on the way home from work. :)

So I got that far along and it was finally time for me to upgrade my phone (actually, waaaay past time).  Since I'm not a phone person, I never could justify the expense of a $200+ phone to do what the computer at my desk at work and my computer on my desk at home would do.  Then AT&T (or Apple-not sure which) dropped the prices on their iPhones to something that was much more reasonable so I bit the bullet and picked up an iPhone 3GS.  I figured if I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to go ahead and do one that will last me for a while and the iPhone 3GS was at an amazingly low $99 U.S. which fit in to my budget.

Now guess what?  I can honestly say, for the first time in my life, that I love my phone.  It is way cooler than I could have ever imagined and I find myself using all those apps that I previously turned my nose up and thought "I'll never use that stuff".

Being a photographer, the iPhone offers a ton of really cool apps to play with to make your photographic experience with your phone, much more enjoyable.  I'm not terribly familiar with other types of phones, but I can say that I can't imagine a better phone for photographers who want to actually take photos with their phones.

So, long story short, here is my list of favorite photography apps for the iPhone:

1.  My first pick is Lo-Mob.  This app gives your photos a retro look with several awesome film and border styles to imitate old school cameras.  Very cool features and easy to use.

2.  My second pick is Hipstamatic.  This app gives your photos the look and feel of the plastic toy cameras of the 80's.  If you like this look, there isn't a better app out there for this.

3.  The Best Camera app is my next favorite.  This app is the brainchild of awesome-cool photographer Chase Jarvis.  It allows you apply several different features to your photos then allows you to share them with a myriad of online photo applications including one designed just for this app.

4.  Now if you're a photographer, then you obviously have to have Photoshop.  So, you might as well get the official Adobe Photoshop Express app.  It allows all the essential editing techniques for your iPhone photography.

5.  Another favorite of mine is Instagram.  Its similar to the other apps above in that it allows you to add various filters and upload them to the internet.  While its similar to those other apps, its cool enough in its own right to have as an additional app on your phone.

6.  My last pick was as app I was turned on to by my fiance'.  Mostly because she keeps taking these awesome photos with her iPhone and I keep asking her how she's doing it.  She's using an app called Pro HDR for the iPhone and iPad.  If you're in to HDR style photography, this is a cool app that does a pretty reasonable job at giving you that high dynamic range look.  Although I would like to see an option in the future with it to be able to shoot more than two frames to create the final image.

So what are your favorite photography related iPhone apps?

Please sound off in the comments.  I'm still rather new to all this and I know there are still more cool apps out there that I am yet to discover.

EDIT:  oops, I forgot all about the Flickr app.  If you use and like Flickr, this app is essential for your iPhone!

Thanks Christina for the reminder and tips!

3 comments:

Jenn Lee said...

I like your blog post and even though I have to take credit for turning you onto qwerty texting, I can't say I was the one to turn onto iPhones first. =)
Regarding photography related apps. I have to say I have been playing with "Burst Mode" as well. It allows you to set a self-timer from 0-10 sec. Burst speed from 1-15 fps and between 5-200 frames. I've tried it on an aquarium of ciclids, 1 of 15 frames was blurry, the rest were spot on!

Christina said...

Do you have the official flickr app yet? :)

I like CameraBag (one word) .. similar to Hipstamatic I believe .. and just picked up Light Meter (freebie) and that is pretty nice as well!

John said...

Doh! I forgot the Flickr app!!! Yes I do have it and use it, just forgot.

I picked up the Light Meter one too but haven't used it yet.

I will definitely check out the CameraBag app! Thanks!