Saturday, March 31, 2012

Basketball Day!!

Basketball

If you're local, chances are, even if you're not a basketball fan, you probably know what today is.  If you're not local, chances are you still probably realize that there are a few basketball games going on.  However, for those of us who are from Kentucky and are basketball fans, today is our Super Bowl!!

The NCAA College basketball tournament has been going on for a few weeks now, and if you've been following along, today is the semi final games for who will be decided to be in the big show down, the final championship game.  The big match up for us local folks is the University of Kentucky Wildcats versus the University of Louisville Cardinals and it is probably one of the most hotly contested rivalries in all of college basketball!  Both teams have equally shined this year and have played their hearts out.  At times, both of these teams have played like NBA teams with today's hottest up-and-coming stars delivering a menagerie of shots from slam dunks to 3 point miracles.

While I will be the first to admit, that I am not a huge sports junky, I do have a considerable amount of pride in the fact that the state I live in has sent TWO college teams to the final four!  Not only is this an amazing feat for both colleges represented in this game, but it is also a huge bonus for the entire state of Kentucky regardless of which team wins.

That being said, I have to say that I am fiercely rooting for my favorite team, the University of Kentucky Wildcats, the all time winning-est team in the NCAA!!  However, should my team not come through today, I can definitely say that while I will be upset, I will still be rooting for the Cardinals in the final game.  Why?  Because its good for my state and I would much rather support a local team than any other team in the country.

A lot of true, die hard fans probably disagree with me saying that you can't be a true fan while rooting for its arch nemesis, but I just don't see it that way.  I definitely want UK to win, and I'm even wearing my Kentucky blue today, but if they lose, I will whole heartedly be rooting for the Cards to deliver the championship because I have pride in that my state has consistently proved itself as a leader in college basketball.

Ok, off the soap box, time to fire up the grill and settle in for the Battle of the Bluegrass 2012!!!

Go CATS!!!!

...oh, and if you're curious as to how the photo above was lit, just click on it :)

No comments: